Pages

Friday, June 16, 2006

More catch up - May 27 Front yard

May 27 --

Okay, I went picture crazy on this day and I just took snapshots of my whole yard; every area that I could take a picture of, I did. I won't display them all here, but go to my photo album to see everything.

Here's a couple areas I am watching in the front yard.

The roses haven't bloomed yet -- but they are growing fast. I did find a lot of aphids on them this year and I killed them by hand (gross, I know). But last year I saw 2 japanese beatles on them and this year I haven't. I have an organic aphid/rose concoction on file, but I just haven't mixed it yet. It calls for:
1 small onion chopped finely
2 medium garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 tbs liquid dish soap
2 c water
Put all ingredients in a blender, blend on high, and strain through cheesecloth or pantyhose. Pour into spray bottle and mist your plants at first sign of aphid trouble.
* if you're looking for any organic plant concoctions, let me know. I have a whole bunch on file.


Here's the front sun bed that I share with my neighbor. The sedum are in perfect round balls on May 27. And the daisies are just getting tall and haven't opened yet.




This is my "woodland" garden area. Most of the front is for the shady ladies, but this to me looks like a woodland. I have hostas, astilbes, hecheura (coral bells), and bleeding hearts. That hosta on the end gets ENORMOUS. It great because as the bleeding heart next to it loses its flowers, the giant hosta takes over it's space.

Here's my native plant area -- the wild columbines, the wild sunflower, and the blue cohosh. I think at this point, we've already had a casualty -- some critter took off with a wild sunflower.



Here's the area in the front yard I call the semi-circle. If I had to re-do this garden, I would probably eliminate this area. It's too big and it never gets filled. You can see hostas, day lillies, coral bells and ferns. The rudbeckia (black eyed susans) haven't really come up yet but they are here too. I planted 2 native plants here last yr (wild sunflower and prairie aster). And we planted the 2 fringed bleeding hearts here this year.

Remember the hydrangea? I found out that it's an oak leaf hydrangea and it's known for it beautiful peeling bark. Yuck. I don't think it's pretty at all and here - May 27 - it's only beginning to get some leaves. When I was in South Carolina last month, we visited Middleton plantation and gardens and they had one on the premises and our tour guide said that they should be planted underneath other plants to disguise their bark -- it's not the case here so this guy needs get uprooted and replanted.

1 comment:

angie said...

I wouldn't recommend the rose concoction. I tried a similar mixture and I think it did more damage than good, although I probably mixed it wrong or something. We have a bigger problem with the japanese beetles here. I think they can devour a rose bush in a day.