Pages

Monday, July 10, 2006

Another weekend in the garden.

It finally got to be in the high 80’s this weekend; my dear neighbor, the gardener (MDN from now on) said it's the reason some of our plants have been blooming for so long (i.e. oxeye daisies). At the same time, the weather is tricking certain plants (the sedum) to start blooming. MDN trimmed all her sedum down so they wouldn’t flower yet, as she said, “These are supposed to be my fall flowers.”

Still, despite the hot weather, we still managed to get a few tasks done.

1) Matt applied our 2nd application of cornmeal to the lawn. It still looks good but our mower (a push one non-motorized) cuts too short so we started noticing a few patchy spots. MDN told me about scott's patchmaster which is the seed in recycled paper for the bare areas.

2) I took out a diseased bush from the front. We had 2 identical bush plants (unfortunately, I can't remember their name and I never took a picture of them; obviously I never had much love for them). This year they both caught some disease and barely grew leaves so earlier in the season Matt and I pulled one of them out, and this weekend, I tackled the other one.

3) I bought and planted another Astilbe. Last yr, our Astilbe didn't flower. That was our first summer and I didn't ask any questions. This year is a different story. They are beautiful and HUGE! I fell in love with them because I’m not discovering many shade perennials that have color and I’m having a hard time adjusting to several different shades of green hostas. I planted it between the fringed bleeding hearts in the front circle.


4) I discovered a hydrangea bush growing in the front circle as well. It has a pretty pink pom pom which I am pretty sure I would have noticed last year if it had bloomed, so I'm sure it didn't. I decided (like I have any idea what I'm doing) that it was getting crowded by other plants so I moved it back some. It’s doing fine so far, but it may not get enough sun here. If it doesn’t, I’ll have to move it again. In the picture above it's hiding between some very tall wild sunflowers that have yet to bloom (I planted them in 2005).

5) Finally, I cut back the crazy daisies. I think they are oxeye daisies and they got really tall and fell over after a storm and never rose back up. I noticed that there were more of them than last year and I read that these spread fast and are good for a “wild” garden. I don’t think that’s the location they’re in now! I trimmed them all back this weekend and my Note to self: is to move them somewhere else and replace with dianthus, hydrangea, something else that loves sun.

That’s all for now – next up: Dividing Irises!

No comments: