Pages

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Jumanji, the killer clematis

We bought our house in February 2005. In the winter, you can't see the long list of sleeping plants who'll want your undivided attention come spring. All we saw was snow. However , we did see this pretty arbor on the side of our house and something like, "Awwww..." came out of our mouths.

2-1/2 years later, I look at the arbor and something like, "Ahhhhh!!!!" comes out. Little did I know that a clematis reminiscent of the killer vine in Jumanji resides there.

Last year it looked normal, it bloomed beautiful flowers in May and then just hung out on the arbor. These blooms are from May 2005.

This year, after I trimmed it back in the spring like Edward Scissorhands, it decided not to bloom in May.

Instead it has decided join the obesity epidemic plaguing America and grow to astronomical size. It's also forcing me to take a different route of the ayrd since I have to get down on my hands and knees to get out of the garden. That's me to the left, the clematis is helping me keep my anonymity.

I'm sure you're thinking, "Just cut it down and stop complaining." I know I should. My mom says she's not coming over again unless I trim it back, "I want to come over for coffee, not particpate in an obstacle course."

But I kind of like it. It's like a good shrink. Everytime I plant something and it dies and I feel like I should just move back to a condo, I just walk over to Jumanji, the killer clematis and then I don't feel so bad.

6 comments:

Tea & Margaritas in My Garden said...

Wow! That`s one big Clematis.
I planted one this year and it seems to be alive but only has one bloom and the leaves are a browny green for some strange reason. Next year I want to try a few more, maybe in a different spot.

tea

Annie in Austin said...

Rosemarie, clematis pruning can get complicated! There are different types [I,II, III] of clematis -some you can chop back any old time, some bloom on 'new wood' and some only bloom on stems that were formed during the previous season. You need to know what you have in order to figure out the best time to prune the vines.

If your clematis is a variety that blooms on old wood, then it would have set flower buds in 2005, ready to expand and open in May 2006. If you pruned that type in early spring, you would have been cutting off all the potential flowers. Well, maybe with such huge vine growth, your clematis is getting ready for a spectacular display in 2007!
For most types, the best time to prune is right after they're done blooming. Do you still have the tag with the name of the variety?

Rosemarie said...

Annie and Tea - thanks for writing!

Annie,

I appreciate your clematis information immensly. Since I inherited this garden and the previous owner left no info, I have no idea what kind it is. I started looking around on some web sites and hope to ID it soon and post some info on the blog for me to remember for next year.

Sigrun said...

Hi Rosemarie, thank you for your comment at my blog. You are lucky, to have such a wonderful clematis.

Why do you not post more often? We allways like to see photos from other gardens, also in winter.

Sigrun

Carol said...

The second picture makes me think your clematis might be Sweet Autumn Clematis, which generally has smaller flowers, but a lot of them in August & September. However, the flowers in the first picture are fairly large, so it is probably a different variety

Sandy said...

I am going to come back in a while to see what you do with that vine. So far, I haven't been able to get one to grow here.