Pages

Saturday, September 09, 2006

August

News Report: The blue cohosh we bought at the Native Plant sale this spring is doing superb. It loves it's location under the pine tree and we love it's beautiful leaves and pretty yellow flowers. Another reminder that maybe I'm not a complete garden failure.
Note to self: BUY MORE next year!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think I can honestly say that I did nothing in the garden in August. I have a sneaking suspicion I did the same thing last year. I think it's the heat...
So I just let everything grow and look pretty -- I have plenty of coneflowers and black eyed susans popping up and a ton of purple phlox. It all looked good so that my motto in August was, "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it."

Then the 1st of September rolled along and I went outside and what I saw was just a mess! The daylillies had all fallen over, the barnberries were growing out of control, I couldn't even find my pretty stone path anymore, the vinka were growing onto my walkway.... I couldn't ignore it any longer so I put on the overalls and went on clean-up duty (I'm making that up, I don't own overalls).

While I was cleaning, Matt (my husband) was reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. So I thought it necessary he share my pain and drew his attention to a bush out front that we've long hated. "We should cut it down," is what I said. What I really meant was, "You should stop reading that book and cut down that tree while I watch and take photos." So he agreed (I did ask nicely) and what was once this:
... is now this

It's nice to be able to see out the window.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I'm a big Harry Potter fan, but as my readers can probably attest, I'm also a believer in helping out around the house. Hopefully he got back to the book *after* the chores were done :o)

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

Annie in Austin said...

Your coneflowers have that autumn look already. And the blue cohosh looks happy! We used to belong to Morton Arboretum and bought all kinds of interesting stuff at their members' plant sales. The cuttings and tree seedlings were small when we bought them, but looked wonderful by the time we sold the house to come to Texas.

I like the manner in which you decided to 'edit' this part of your landscape, because it was a decision, not a whim. Sometimes people chop trees or shrubs down the second they move in, then find out that at a different time of year, the tree was serving a genuine purpose in that garden.

You guys have lived with your home through a complete round of seasons, and now you know what's working and what isn't.

Annie