Pages

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Mum's the word

I planted this mum last Fall -- actually I planted 2 of them but one of them never seemed to do that well. I thought they were annuals, or at least would be since I planted them but one of them has come back in full force.

In fact it's a giant. At least 3 times the size of it when I bought it a year ago! We actually had to stake it -- do you stake mums? What is with gigantic plants in my garden. First the clematis and now this. There must be something in the soil.

I don't have pics of it last year when I bought them cause it never occurred to me that they would come back.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

I have read that if you cut the mums back in the middle of summer they won't be so floppy. I've never done it myself because I don't mind that they sprawl all over.

Girl Gone Gardening said...

Mums normally get big (unless you plant dwarf viarities) for more buds and less sprawl, cut the plant 2-3 times a year---halfway down the first time and a quarter of the way down the second time. And yes, you will still need stakes even then. The nursery grown mums are both pinched back a lot and given a hormone that stunts the growth so they look neat and tidy. Once in the ground, without that hormone, they go to town :)