Pages

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Replanting many times

I'm a pretty decisive person. I make decisions quick and painless and I consider it one of my strengths. Gardening has taken that all out of me ...

I'd like to grass an area of the backyard, so 4 lungworts and a hosta need a new home. I looked around aimlessly with a plant in my hand. Where will they go? Then I located the spot, made my decision, "Yes this will be its new home." I dig and plant and get mud under my fingernails. I planted the last lungwort when it starts to downpour.

So I gather up the tools, stash them in the shed, take a break, have some lunch, wait til the sun reappears and go back outside... there I see the lungworts and hosta soaking in the sun like bathing beauties on the beach. Ahhhh - what have I done? Frantic, I dig them out pacing the yard trying to find a new home. This time the ground is mud as I dig, put some plants there, dig more plants here, plants for more plants there. And so forth until finally they all are home at last.

Happy Saturday!
______

Area we are going to grass - when? Well, that depends. We were supposed to do it in Sept. Didn't happen. I think our window of opportunity is fading fast. But I did rake up the mulch, till the soil, and remove the plants I want to keep.



First, I move the plants here. This is the flower bed under the kitchen window where I have the purple bearded irises and huge yellow daylillies. There was an ugly bush (typical coniferous bush) that I pulled out a few weeks ago, it was there to hide the downspout. I liked the way this looked and was really happy ...



...But alas, it was not meant to be so I separated them -- putting the hosta against the back fence and the lungwarts under the prairie grass in the flower bed by the screened porch.

...But there were bearded irises under the prairie grass that I put there a while back. So I took them out and put them by the downspout. But they looked lonely. So I remembered I had a pretty daylilly against the fence all alone, so I pulled them (she had multiplied since the last time I looked) and planted them with the iris.

I have no idea if what I'm doing is right, but time will tell.

1 comment:

Sissy said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog! I just asked for Cottage Living for my birthday!!