Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

March 26: Daffodils, Irises, Lungworts & Tools

I am going to try and be better about noting when things are in bloom. I wanted to get this all noted last year when I started this blog, but it didn't happen. Such is life. Maybe this year.

March 26th --

The daffodils are in bloom. In the SW corner garden, 3 separate clumps of daffodils are blooming and I pulled off about 5 to have indoors. I see about 4 more that want to open (not yet though).

I love lungworts. Am I weird? They grow great in my garden and look nice all summer. Plus the tiny flowers are cute. So needless to say they are coming up already and I even have flowers on them already. I divided and planted some by the screened porch last summer and they're back.

Last summer, I divided the tall bearded irises that were growing under the kitchen window. Instead of giving them away, I decided to plant them in all different areas of the yard (front/back/sides) to see where else they could grow. So far they all seem to be doing really good (i.e. coming up) except for the one in the Triangle garden in the backyard whose roots got really mushy.

And right now what I really need are some tools. And more specifically something to cut back the tall prairie grasses and the monkey grass. I've been doing this with pruners and I feel ridiculous.

Any recommendations -- long shears maybe?

1 comment:

Sissy said...

Rosemarie,
I am a big fan of ornamental grasses, but not the yearly hair cut. My son and I figured out this little operation.
Get a bungy cord, one of those stretchy little cords you might use in the car and tie it around as much of the grass as it will stretch around. Get the weed wacker out and six inches above the ground, hack off the bungied grass. Put the cut grass on a tarp and proceed to bungy off the next section, if you have more!! It's a much neater way than having that grass blow around your landscape for two weeks!!
Good luck!