Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - April

It's April 15th already?! Time for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.

A lot has happened here in Chicago this past month. In March, my pictures were pretty brown and sad. In one month, the daffodils emerged and bloomed, things got green, and then ... we had 3" of snow. Now the snow has melted and things are back to green, but no more daffodils.

Here's what's happening on April 15th in my Zone 5/ Chicago garden:

In bloom:
Daffoldils ( not anymore, but bloomed since March 15th)
Lungwarts/Pulmonaria
Vinca

Budding:
Tulips
Lilac bushes (very tiny buds)
An unknown bush I have in the front (picture below) (very tiny buds) - has very fragrant flowers.

Pictures:

Here's the unknown bush (I have 3 of these).
Last yr, I planted a wild columbine and blue cohosh from the Native Plant Sale at the end of April. I didn't realize by April 15th, they'd be pretty big. I think they love their new homes under the pine tree.

Under the kitchen window, the daylillies, tulips, and irises are bigger than last month (they were just peaking out from the leaves). No blooms yet, still. Too early.
Here's the backyard. Greener than last month, but still April 15th is early for Zone 5.
And here's the front

4 comments:

Carol said...

Rosemarie... you are making progress. I think Chicago is usually about 2 weeks later than Indianapolis. And that shrub... that looks like a Viburnum of some kind to me, but I'm not real sure from the picture.

Thanks for participating in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

Sissy said...

You are getting so much done!! Where was the Native plant sale you went to? Was it in Barrington? Too far for me...

Annie in Austin said...

This looks very nice for mid-April in Illinois. Viburnum was my guess for your three shrubs, too. If yours are blooming and the flowers smell good, you're doing a lot better with them than I have, Rosemarie. I planted two different, supposedly fragrant Viburnums here, but haven't had a single flower.
As in Baseball - wait 'til next year!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Rosemarie said...

Annie & Carol,
Thanks for giving a name to my shrubs -- I really like these and I have 3 of them, but they did flower better our first year than our 2nd. We'll see what happens this year.

Sissy,
The native plant sale I go to is in Wheaton. And in fact, they're having it this weekend.