Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Rain barrels some more

It's snowing today. Like really, really snowing. I’m not sure if this is the latest snowfall we’ve ever had, but last year I documented the last snowfall at the end of March.

UPDATE: It hasn't snowed in April in 27 years!

There’s a perfectly good explanation for the snow: it’s because we cleaned up the garden already. Yes, I admit it. It’s all my fault; we’re the reason for the snow. I think it has to do with that tricky law of physics, the same one, you know, where it rains after you wash your car.

On a positive note, the snow is buying me some time to plan and think (as if I didn’t have 4 mos. of that). I’m thinking now about my rain barrel.

I picked up the rain barrel last Friday. It’s just a big, coral-colored plastic barrel. I was going to get 2 of them but I could only fit 1 in the backseat of my car. I can add another one later in the season or next year if all goes well.

So because I only have 1 barrel, I’m wondering exactly where it should go? I checked out a local green landscaper and his site shows 3 rain barrels linked together at 2 different downpouts. My house has about 6 downspouts (that I can think of, at least). Here are the finalists:
  • I have 1 downspout on the northwest side that always floods in heavy rains. It pours out next to the concrete walkway into a small landscaped area of 2 japanese barberries. The previous owners dumped a bunch of small stones there to probably help with drainage; if it helps, I don’t know because it still puddles. The downside is that it’s towards the front of the house and very close to my neighbor.

  • There are 2 on the east side where our lot slopes into the lot next door. The one in the back corner would be a good location because it gets a lot of water, it doesn’t drain well (well, we attached a flexible hose to it to keep it away from our foundation, so now it runs into our neighbors empty lot.) The downside is that it’s not leveled and I would really have to make a secure spot for it.
… I think I’m leaning towards the northwest side. There’s just no real place for that water to drain to. The new neighbors will just have to live with it.

But before I can install, I have to add some accoutrements to the barrel. It came with a spigot to attach to a hose, but it needs to be cut at the top for the downspout to enter. I also need to make a mesh overlay to catch the debris, and add an overflow valve. I found 2 great sites for information (U of Arizona & Watershed Activities). The latter one has excellent pictures of various rain barrels in different set ups, plus some very good drawings of rain barrel components.

I can’t wait to get started!

3 comments:

Carolyn gail said...

Rain barrels are a good idea. I remember as a child that we would collect the rain water to wash our hair because it makes it soft.

Sissy said...

Good for you! I wish I could've helped you get those to your house, I have a Suburban for a few more weeks!
At 6mpg, I am trading it in for something smaller!!

Kate said...

Rosemarie, thanks for stopping by my blog! It's great you are back at the viola - so true that it doesn't matter how we sound, just playing brings so much pleasure.

I enjoyed reading about your rain barrel - you'll have to let us know where you decide to place it! I have one which needed to be repaired after a winter (I'd left some water in it and the bottom cracked... didn't realize it till the basement started leaking that the rain barrel was too!)