Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2007

My first, very own, garden

As most of you know -- by my title -- we bought our house 2 years ago and it came with a fully landscaped yard and plants I had never seen or heard of.

Most of the time has been trying to "manage" the yard, learn the plant names, how to care for them, and just enjoy what we have. Unfortunately, the previous owners never gave us any pictures or plant information so we're really in the dark on most things. For instance, I may know I have a heuchera but what kind? No clue.

The front yard was gorgeous, but the backyard? Well, I think it might have been neglected or something because it never looked nice.

So I am so tickled pink that I have just planted my very first garden that's all mine.

Enter the Backyard Fence Garden:When we moved in, there was nothing of real significance here. I know there were some black eyes susans, but we accidentally pulled them out from the left side of the garden thinking they were weeds. I tried to add something, so I added a wild geranium from my first native plant sale (still there, didn't kill it).

Last year, my grandpa gave me a tall grass to plant there, and I transplanted a hosta (which definitely likes this new home better). There were also some re-seeded rudbeckia and purple echinicea, and maybe some phlox growing. The geranium was still there.

So I found a fence garden in the Tribune and like a recipe, I adapted it to my own taste, because I wanted to keep some of the existing plants.

I added:
  • a fringed bleeding heart (dicentra luxurient)
  • another geranium (Cranesbill geranium/ geranium sanguineum "Max Frei")
  • 2 clustered Bellflowers (Campanula glomerata 'Acaulis')
  • and a Boxwood (Buxus Microphylla 'Green Mountain').

I also transplanted from other parts of the yard:
  • 4 heuchera (2 coral bells and 2 purple ones)
  • an Astilbe
  • 2 Irises
  • and some daylillies.

Here's what it looks like now.
Not a great picture, but I'll update it as it grows bigger.

3 comments:

Carolyn gail said...

Hey Rosemarie,

How wide is that bed ? Looks a little narrow , but it could be the photo ? A bed is best at around 5 feet wide at least and if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion : you need some evergreens in the background as the "bones of your garden. "

Rosemarie said...

Oops! The bed is 4 feet wide at it's narrowest. The plan I was basing it off of, said 3-4 feet so I thought it was okay. Don't trust anything in the paper, right? I'll stretch it out a bit and add a nice border.

As for being bold -- please do so, that's 1/2 the reason I keep this blog is to get inspiration/advice from those so knoledgable. Now I have the 1 boxwood, but I'll look into another evergreen for winter interest. Thank you!

Kate said...

I like the look of your new bed and the selection of plants that you are using. With most of my flowerbeds, I've started out small and added more space as time and/or $$ permitted or I needed more space to try out a new plant.

Are you playing the viola much these days? I have been too busy outdoors and not spending the time I like to practice the violin ...I am going to a fiddle camp in August so hopefully that will be a good motivation.