Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A woman with a hoe... and a mission

It may appear that I am doing an unusual amount of clearing out this spring. It's true that I've become more acquainted with the "hoe" than in the past, but I have a good explanation.

Since I knew next to nothing about gardening when we bought this house, I considered anything that grew to be a major victory on my behalf. I didn't know if it was a weed or a black-eyed susan, if it was growing it had a place in my garden.

On several occasions, Pat, my former garden guru neighbor, would come over, wrestle her hand around a 2-foot tall plant, what I now know would be garlic mustard, and yank it out saying, "That's a weed."


Dead nettle: friend or foe?

Now that I'm more comfortable, I have no problem pulling out the weeds or even a plant if I don't want it or it's becoming invasive. That's why I've come down hard on the backyard. I really let it go the last 2 years not knowing that the dead nettle would rise above and defeat 1/4th of my backyard faster than I can write this blog entry.

This has been, for me, a huge leap of faith in my gardening. I'm not scared anymore, I'm trusting my judgement and moving onward. Preferably without the horrible invasive ground cover.

1 comment:

Carolyn gail said...

Hey Woman with a Hoe and on a Mission : The enemy is sighted and shall be destroyed. It's name is : Dead Nettle. It seems that you've decided to take on the mission to eradicate this invasive ground cover, excuse me : Weed. Go for it !