Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - June 15th

I'm one day early because I'm not sure if I'll have the time tomorrow to post. I have a lot blooming in my garden on June 15th -- it's very exciting stuff 'round here.

Thanks to Carol from May Dreams Gardens for putting this together!

Here's what's blooming in the front yard on June 15th:

The oakleaf hydrangea at my doorstep. I was pruning this plant all wrong the last 2 years, and now that I know not to prune in the spring, I was blessed with several blooms. They are not all bloomed but it's really pretty.

The roses on the other side of my doorstep are also in bloom. I've brought a few in because they last longer, but I love these -- I know I have 2 different kind (1 grows in a bunch the other as single stem).
Now I know this is a potentilla (thanks carolyn!), and it's pretty yellow flowers are finally blooming.
This is another rose bush in the front that I always thought belonged to our neighbor until they moved and the lot lines got drawn up. Now it's mine. Good because it beautiful, bad because it's so thorny and now I need to care for it.
Hemerocallis "Stella d'oro" (I think). It's a repeat bloomer, so I'm thinking that this is what these daylilies are. I have about 5 groups of these, but this one always does the best.
My dianthus 'sweet william' is still blooming, but this is another one I got. The label said dianthus cheddar pinks 'red dwarf.' I think it looks more like dianthus deltoides, but what do I know. In any case, these cheddars are blooming better than the actual pink ones I have in the back yard.Also in the front: fringed bleeding heart, oxeye daisies, catmint, & salvia.

Backyard blooms:

This is the new Campanula glomerata (clustered bellflower) I planted in my new fence garden May 19th. It's flopping over (maybe it's not getting enough sun), but it's blooming nicely.

This daylily I found against the back fence our 1st summer. It was all alone. The 2nd summer it didn't bloom, so I moved it to the kitchen window area and voila, it just opened up this morning. It's so lovely and she loves her new home.Also in the backyard: purple loosestrife & fringed bleeding heart.

What's just about to bloom:
  • purple coneflowers have their buds on them
  • yellow daylillies in the backyard are all set to bloom

8 comments:

Carolyn gail said...

Wow, Rosemarie ! Your flowers look really beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Carol said...

What a pretty garden you must have right now. Since my coneflowers started blooming a week or so ago, I'd guess my garden is about two weeks ahead of yours on what is blooming.

Thanks for participating in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

Crafty Gardener said...

I have enjoyed my visit to your garden on Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.

Yolanda Elizabet said...

What fun that you inherited a garden from the previous owners. The first gardening year must have been full of surprises!

You have a lot in bloom I see. Thanks for sharing those lovely pics of your garden and blooms. My blooms are up too, if you're interested.

Gina said...

I was just reading your blog and I'm so getting a rain barrel! I'm in chicagoland area too so I'll be keeping up with what's blooming in your garden.

Apple said...

My last house came with a perennial garden and that's how I got my start gardening. It looks like you quickly making it your own. Your roses are very pretty. The lily does look like a Stella d'oro. I love the shape of the flower and their looong blooming season.

Apple said...

Hi Rosemarie,

My daisies flop a little but we haven't had much rain. The patch is held up on one side by the house and one the other by beebalm. If yours flop too much you could try replacing them with shastas but I think they bloom a little later.

LCShores said...

Oh, I'm glad you're seeing just how gorgeous oakleaf hydrangeas are! OK, so maybe my tastes go more towards the "architectural", but they're one of my favorite plants. Have you seen an older one yet? There're some in our neighborhood that are 6 feet tall and 6 feet wide - amazing!