Pages

Monday, June 18, 2007

Round-up?

I'm in the process of re-doing the southwest corner of my backyard. I've pulled out the lamium (for the most part, there is the occasional sprouter) and thinned out the army of cinnamon ferns guarding the fence.

But now I'm noticing the weeds are taking over. I'm purposely not rushing to make sure all th lamium has been removed (it was VERY overgrown); but while waiting, a farm of clover look-a-likes are taking residence. I don't blame them, it's primo property, but they're not paying any rent.

So I'm pulling them out by hand but it's tedious because there are so many and they are so small.

On U of I's Hort Corner "Bed Preparation" they say to get rid of all weeds first by treating the dirt with herbicide like Round-up.

Do any of you recommend Round-up? I'd prefer to use something less chemical, but maybe there is no other way.

3 comments:

Gina said...

I've been digging up weeds for 4 weeks straight! I did spray roundup on the weeds in the cracks of my crappy patio. The weeds are dead but they are still there, so it looks like I'll be pulling them out anyway. Can I loan you my Action Hoe? :)

Carolyn gail said...

Hi Rosemarie,

An organic weed killer is horticultural vinegar. You can google it and find sources that sell it. It is a terrific product and will permanently kill any plant it touches.

MrBrownThumb said...

I have a 2 year old bottle of Round-up collecting dust in the pantry. I've wanted to use it before but every time I reach for it I start to feel guilty.