Pages

Friday, August 17, 2007

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - August

Only 2 days late ... not bad! But I have a good excuse, my husband and I adopted a new kitty and he's been keeping us pretty occupied (plus, there's not much going on in the garden -- I consider August my month of REST!).

Thanks to Carol at May Garden Dreams for putting this together.

Not a plant, but a cute kitty!

I just went out this morning to peruse my bounty and there's a lot going on, and I don't know what a lot of it is.

My purple palace heuchera are blooming prettily in front of a fringed
bleeding heart (gotta love the shade!)

I'm not sure what this plant is, but at this time I get these nice fronds.

I have some various grasses in "bloom" right now --
although I don't know what kind they are:


My sedum (which I cut back this year for the first time) is just
flowering, but no color yet.
Another plant I don't know -- these are my neighbors that re-seeded into my yard.
She said they were sunflowers. I like how the fell over into the variegated grass.

Japanese beetles be damned -- these roses are coming back!!

some annuals I have -- coleus in my large green pot and impatiens below.

And finally, I have a black-eyed susan look-a-like ground cover. Reading Lake Shore's blog, I thought these night be yellow coneflowers?

The real black-eyed susans!

5 comments:

LCShores said...

Rosemarie, I'm not sure whether your groundcover is the Rudbeckia I have in my garden - how similar are the leaves? Another shade-loving Rudbeckia is sweet black-eyed Susan, but I don't have that (yet), so I can't tell you how they differ!

Annie in Austin said...

Congratulations on the new snuggle kitty, Rosemarie - what a sweet face. Your garden looks beautiful and it will keep while you bond with him!

I've only worked with bigger rocks, not as mulch, so no advice there, but your tall frondy plant looks like an Aruncus/Goatsbeard from my monitor. I had a few in Illinois - sort of like larger, plainer Astilbe. You might want to open this Aruncus Link in a new window to see if it looks like a likely identity.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Rosemarie said...

LCShores -- The leaves of this flower are not the same as rudbeckia fulgida (I looked it up and it's regular black eyed susan). It does remind me of sweet BE susan (rudbeckia subtomentosa) but it's not as tall. Oh well... I'll keep looking.

Annie -- Thanks, I think he's the cutest! And it IS goatsbeard! I never knew that cause the only pic I ever saw had white flowers and mine are always beige. Thanks!

Carol said...

Thanks for participating in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, even a few days late. Your new kitty looks sweet and mischievious at the same time!

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

Apple said...

Cute kitten! I may soon be the only gardener without a cat. I'm glad your rose survived the beetles. I still have plenty of them here.