In May, I planted my first garden, which I call the "Fence Garden" because it's against the fence (how original, I know). This was the first area that I planted from scratch, as opposed to taking care of the previous owner's plants, or adding here and there.
I know already that I made some mistakes -- mistakes that can be easily fixed next year -- but I was really excited at seeing how this area developed in it's first year, what worked, and what didn't.
For more photos -- click here.
I pretty much had to replace everything on the west end of this garden, which I deliriously thought got more sun than it does. So out went the geraniums, bellflowers, and coneflower that constantly fell over, and in went some ferns and pulmonaria.
I also realize that I should have thought more about "foundation" plants: shrubs and evergreens that would give this more of a footprint. After being reminded by Carolyn to add these, I put in a boxwood and eunymous as an afterthought. Had I thought about this better, I could/should have chosen a lovely shrub which would have given me some nice foliage, flowers, and autumn interest.
In addition, the grass I have is sad ( it was from my grandpa's yard). Another tall grass I think would give this garden some needed height. I also think some more plantings in the front would be good, since I've learned that plants in shade tend to grow slower.
I should have also listened to Carolyn when she suggested adding in some annuals to cover the many bare areas; but I was spending so much money on plants by that time I couldn't do anymore. But I think that I will be more attentive to the bare areas in my garden as a general rule; and I realize that such thing like impatiens really spread as the season goes so a little goes a long way.
But all in all, I feel like I was very successful because last year I was told that I was on the wrong side of the fence, and that nothing would grow here.