Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

NIMG (Not in My Garden)

A while back, Blackswamp Girl, talked about the idea of NIMG -- Not in My Garden. These are things that won't ever happen in your garden -- for whatever reason: you don't like them, you don't have the climate/soil/sun, you don't have the time/patience, or basically, it's just not going to happen.

After a weekend in Lake Geneva with Matt's parents, I found some things that I would call NIMG, so I thought I'd join in on the meme, albeit late.
A Gazebo: I love these, and they make me think of Victorian houses. But in my 70's split level with no backyard, where would I put one that wouldn't look ridiculous. I think they definitely need the right spot, like this one up on a small hill that is overlooking the Lake.

A perfectly manicured, landscaped lawn: I think you can tell when someone has hired a landscaper. Things tend to look neat -- 3 of those, 5 of those, and so on. I tend to just plant what I want, where I want so I'll never achieve this look. And that's okay with me. (Although in this case, I like how the shrubs are more wild and not all Edward Scissor-hands).

Freddy Kreuger edging: That's what I call this razor sharp piercing in the ground. I can't believe a human can actually do this. Matt and I have tried umpteenth times, and what we get is not fit to post. I like this and I don't like this, but either way it's a NIMG cause I can't do it.

Now, this I love. It's just like me: neat, but all wild at the same time. It doesn't have the "appearance" of a neatly manicured lawn, but things are in order; that's kind of my style. The ivy on the house is just perfect with the style of house, and the boxwoods are cute like soldiers holding back the ground cover from taking over (and loose, not rounded). I dunno, I think this is quaint. I'd like it, but I don't know how to get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Your yard looks lovely.

Sandy
from

gardenpath