Pages

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Two Apple Trees

When we bought our house, I was amazed at the sheer number of trees squeezed on this 50 x 135 lot.
  • 2 in the back (a serviceberry and a "unknown" as of yet)
  • 1 on the side (Apple)
  • 5 in the front (plum, 2 colorado blue spruce, another apple, and a crabapple) -- not counting the 2 huge trees (maples?) that sit on our lot line but "technically" belong to our neighbors. Since all their leaves fall on our lot, I count those too.
So let's see...10. 10 trees. No wonder I have a shade garden.

Try and find the house

But I'm not complaining, I love the trees and I love the cool shade. Our house on our block looks like those farm houses -- you know those that have all the trees surrounding them to shelter the house from the tornado when everything else around is flat and treeless. It's kind of cool, like our house is a secret-secluded cottage (read: split level) smacked in suburbia.

But this leads me to the purpose of this entry: The 2 apple trees. If I say I don't like them, will I be forever banished? But I don't. If I had an acre, I would LOVE to have fruit trees -- but away from my house. One of our trees is right by our garage so every apple falls into our driveway, immediately get squashed, and becomes a haven for bees and flies from the three neighboring counties.I like attracting important insects (bees, not flies) to my yard, but that's why I have flowers. I don't want to attract them this way. I opened my car door today and 5 flies flew in. When I try and sweep the apples, I'm waiting to get stung by a bee.

I don't even want to eat the apples (not after they fall onto
the driveway that's for sure). So Matt and I decided to just cut them down.

Here's the two trees:



The one on the side of house isn't as big of a nuisence, but it's hard to garden on that side because of so many insects flying around. I like a tree there so I'm hoping to replace it with a smaller tree -- maybe a Japanese Maple variety (I don't have one of those).

8 comments:

Carolyn gail said...

Of course you won't be banished. Apple trees planted near the house ? Pleeeze ! Get rid of them ASAP or it'll drive you nuts. What were those people who planted them thinking, or were they ?

Make sure you do your research before you decide on a replacement.

Annie in Austin said...

Go for it, Rosemarie - few people realize how big a tree will be when they're putting a little stick in the ground! The idea of an orchard of one's own is enchanting, but the reality is seldom charming.

In my experience with fruit trees like apples, cherries and pears, if the fruit is any good the birds and squirrels get it... and if it's not good, the yellow jackets are the only beneficiaries.

The blossoms in spring are nice to cut, however ;-]

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Rosemarie said...

Carolyn and Annie --
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I always feel bad getting rid of "life" in my garden. The buds in spring are beautiful, but don't make up for the mess in the Fall. And Carolyn, I will do my homework if I replace these trees -- I might enjoy some sun though.

Blackswamp_Girl said...

I agree... the idea of an orchard of one's own is enchanting, but if you don't want to deal with them or don't like where you're placed you SHOULD cut them down.

I agree that it is nice to try to save a healthy, well-placed, helpful tree. But too many people have trouble cutting down trees just because they're trees, IMHO. And then you get what we deal with here in my little cramped suburb: You wake up one morning and realize that if the neighbor's 60-ft-tall whatever-it-is ever falls down, you're going to have a really terrible morning based on where its branch is located. :(

Blackswamp_Girl said...

ps. You could definitely have some fun with a sun garden I bet! I can't wait to see what you do with that area. :)

Geena said...

I feel your "pain" concerning the mess your apples leave on your drive....Rose I've been dealing with that every year but the tree happens to be my neighbors and of course its next to my drive! Good move.

Rosemarie said...

Blackswamp - I am excited too, to see the area without the tree and get more SUN.

Geena - Yes, I am the neighbor who has the tree that fals into my neighbor's driveway. I can't wait to tell them the good news!

Sissy said...

That big blank wall cries out for an evergreen! Something to help hide it in the winter!! Something like Blue Prince and Princess holly will offer berries for cardinals!
(my two cents!)