Pages

Friday, November 09, 2007

a big sigh in the suburbs

I am just going to tell myself that the guy I saw putting all his leaves in plastic garbage bags is really using them for composting. Despite them being tied at the end, I'm just going to tell myself that ...

Do I have to drive back past that house and steal them from his yard? Do I resort to this type of renegade activity?

I wrote the title as "a sigh in suburbs" because sometimes I feel like people in the city must be a little smarter than suburbanites when it comes to living organically. And I say that having lived my entire life in the burbs with a few years here and there in the city/collar suburbs. When I find a neighbor or fellow surburbanite who breaks the mold, I just want to embrace them and show them off as trophies to prove that, "Hey, we don't all drive SUVs and put chemicals on our lawns."

Sigh.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Here you can put leaves in bags and set them at the curb, clearly marked somehow as "leaves" and the city takes them to compost them, I think. At least they take them separate from the trash, because the trash is all burned in a big incinerator. Who knows? I wouldn't give my leaves away like that.

Katie said...

If people only realized how great leaves were and how bad the chemicals they are using are....the world would be a better place.

Wicked Gardener said...

Bagging leaves always seemed like so much work!! Much easier to just dump them on the compost pile.

Gina said...

in our area you just rake the leaves into a pile in the street and they village picks them up. so, im dying to go up and down my street and bag up the leaves to bring to my house but I feel like everybody will thing im some crazy person.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Tell me about it. I've been seriously thinking of also stealing bags of leaves at the curbs because I don't have any mature trees (yet).