Pages

Monday, January 07, 2008

Mexico

Welcome 2008!

I have to post this picture of a banana flower that I took in Mexico last week. We spent New Years in Puerta Vallarta with my entire family*.

* I'm Italian, so when I say "family" it means the whole clan of about 13 people (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...)


The poolside was lined with banana trees and for the most part I just saw bunches of bananas; then I was sitting on a chair and a huge purple leaf fell on my head. I thought it was my grandpa because he likes to throw things at people and then pretend he didn't do it. But it wasn't him this time; it was a banana flower that I was sitting under. It was time for the leaf to fall off so the banana could grow. It's amazing. Under each leaf is where a new set of bananas will flower and create fruit.

In the town of Puerta Vallarta, I didn't see many gardens since the population live pretty dense downtown; but I like the effort made by this local. I love the terrace garden.

3 comments:

IBOY said...

Ah, I haven't been to P.V. for a couple of years, but I really like that place (we've been going now to Zihuatanejo the last few years). I suppose you get direct air connections from Chicago... boy would that be nice! I found a few gardens in P.V., but they were mostly behind walls, and even then mostly potted.
Don

Blackswamp_Girl said...

The terrace garden is cool... but I admit, I was surprised at how beautiful that banana flower is! I've never seen one before. Between the foliage and the flowers, that they also give you yummy fruit seems too much to ask of one plant. :)

mightymatt1313 said...

I love the banana picture.