Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Pagoda Dogwood

Now that I'm a member of the Arboretum, I can order plants through their Member's Only Sale.

One of the items I'm eyeing is the Pagoda Dogwood (Cornus alternifolia ‘WStackman') they are selling in 1-gallon containers. It's an understory tree, will get 10-12' high and 7-12' wide, likes partial shade and a fairly moist soil. I have 2 areas it might be perfect for...

1) The east side of the house where we removed the Apple Tree (the tree in this photo). It only gets morning sun here and is near a downspout. I wanted a tree here that wouldn't really get taller than the house. Cons: I don't see this part of the yard too much and it's a pretty tree. Also, against the house, would it not be able to spread?
2) In the Southwest garden where I pulled out the Lilac bush (was not enough sun after the trees grew in more). It would definitely get partial shade here and be a companion tree with the serviceberry and I can see it from my window. Plus I wanted something tall for the back. Cons: It would have to be watered more here, and I'd want to built up the back a little more just to ensure good drainage. (In this photo is would go amidst the ferns, the old lilac branch is still there).
Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Rosemarie, many years ago when we were members I ordered a pagoda dogwood and it became one of our most beloved trees in that Illinois garden.
It was small but once it got really rooted did beautifully. Ours was planted under the canopy of a tall, old, limbed-up Black Cherry. After a few years I made a second tree by layering one branch that needed to be pruned. That tree grows in the garden of an Illinois friend.

The shape is so lovely - against the house might count as cruelty to dog-woods.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Rosemarie said...

Annie, I agree. It might be cruelty on the side of the house ... and I am so glad to hear how much you love this tree. I can't wait for Springtime to plant it!

kate said...

I agree with Annie, but I would also add that the Pagoda Dogwood would be stunning in the southwest garden.

I'm glad you are back to garden blogging again!!

lintys said...

I agree with Annie and Kate. I'll looking forward to checking back and seeing your new dogwood. It's nice to meet another Chicago-area gardener!