Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Bulb Watch 2008 - April 11

I planted both hyacinths and early/mid/late spring tulips last fall. Most of the bulbs I see are the tulips ... until today. Finally, 2 hyacinths have emerged.

Unfortunately ... only 2 hyancinths (out of maybe 10 or so I planted) have emerged.

For the most part I planted the bulbs all over so I could see how they fared in different areas. But in the front of the house, I actually tried a "design" thing and planted some bulbs into my heucheras. So far it looks pretty cool seeing them rise above the low leaves of the coral bells, when they bloom I'll get a better idea if this was a good thing or not.

6 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I have the same problem with things disappearing from the garden. As usual, I blame the squirrels. I used to grow Hyacinths, but they never fit in with the other plants too well. I do miss their fragrance. It looks like you'll have plenty of that soon.

Gina said...

rosemarie - i've got hyacinth envy. I didnt plant any of those. I be they'll be beautiful.

garden girl said...

yep, probably the squirrels. The only bulbs I've found they don't dig in my garden is daffodils and tulips. But then, the rabbits eat the tulips, so daffodils is all I have left.

I love the scent of hyacinths. I've' planted them three falls in a row, but I think they've all been eaten. I surrender! This spring I bought forced ones for inside instead. Maybe I'll try once more and transplant them into the garden.

Blackswamp_Girl said...

Wow... your tulips intentionally planted among the heuchera look great! Maybe I ought to move mine around and make it look more like yours.

Rosemarie said...

Mcgregor & Garden Girl - So squirrels like the hyacinths. That makes sense why I only see 2. I know I planted a lot more.

Gina - Don't get envy yet...they might die of the frost tonight!

Blackswamp - Yes intentional! I figured why the heck not!

Benjamin Vogt said...

I also planted bulbs in different places to see what'd happen. So far, the ones in half shade and cold damp are invisible. Oh, they have to be there, right? I've got alliums everywhere, and only a few tulips. Dommage.