Pages

Friday, May 09, 2008

I got one!

Dwarf Globe Blue Spruce!

This morning I was taking some photos and then decided to go to Home Depot for more heucheras of cool color. While I didn't find anything particularly as cool as I did last year
I stumbled, literally, over 2 blue shrubs.... YES, blue shrubs otherwise known as dwarf globe blue spruces!

I couldn't believe it; for some reason I thought that maybe this was something that only real garden centers have. And there were only 2 in the entire place. The price tag... well, $45. It's probably the most expensive thing other than the Japanese Maples they had ($100, still cheaper than the $200-$400 ones I found at that Garden center on Tuesday). Now don't get me wrong, I love the real places. The people are knowledgeable and the selection is prime; however, I don't have a blank check to hand over to a landscaper. In this case, I made the decision to save the bank account and pick the $45 version over the $100+ version.So here it is, hanging out in it's new home. I haven't exactly figured it all out yet, but I want the spruce and the juniper together... hmmm. I have the oakleaf and coral bells to the right, then another hydrangea (small mophead), the tulips, some yarrow, and then ajuga as ground cover. Then the lot slopes at the corner. I thinking of moving the sedum (or dividing other ones) to go by the spruce, and taking advantage of the slope with some rock for the juniper... I can "see" it but I don't know if I can "do" it....

4 comments:

Gina said...

rosemarie - i really like those too. i almost bought one of these the other day. Im so glad you got one so that i can see what it looks like!

J-Dog said...

awww, your beds are so pretty and now I totally want one of those evergreens.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Don't feel guilty about the occasional HD foray. I got one of my Arborvitae there as it was the only place around that had the cultivar I wanted. (It survived the winter wonderfully.) My theory is, if you can see it, you can do it. Just start & take it in steps. It sounds like a good plan.

Carol said...

Congrats! Much as you might read about people shunning the 'big box' type stores, few of us can resist visiting the seasonal departments in the spring and find the occasional bargain.