Pages

Friday, June 06, 2008

Chomp, chomp, munch, munch

It's been a month since I planted my Pagoda Dogwood 'WStackman' (Cornus alternifolia ‘WStackman') -- which I recently read was a species discovered not too far away from me here -- and I wanted to post a progress report and show how nice it's been doing -- i.e. not dead.
Miss P @ planting: 5/1/2008

I also found one at the Morton Arboretum in the Fragrant Garden and it's so lovely, I jumped for joy that this is how, eventually, my tree will look.
The one at the Arboretum

I checked my tree and it was doing great, and I took some photos.
Miss P on 5/30/2008 ... status: Happy

2 days later, I went to check on her and all her leaves have been completely torn up. Eaten. Shredded. Chomped on. I spotted some green bugs roosting on the plant and I immediately crushed them with my palms, but that's not the solution.
A few days later ... someone's lunch

I don't think they will kill my dogwood, but she's still a young plant. As long as the roots are fine, I guess it's kind of okay. Has anyone experienced this before?

1 comment:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Thanks for posting about this. I didn't notice it b4 but mine has some holes too. Not as many as yours, so that I had to look to find them. Also, mine bloomed. I should have cut off the flowers when they were in bud, but I didn't feel like it. I suspect that the bugs are attacking them because they're new plants under stress. I'm just going to monitor mine for now.