Pages

Friday, June 06, 2008

Garden Class: Landscape Design

I've started a new class at the Arboretum which is an Intro to Landscape Design.

I think I have no design sensibility. I think my strengths right now are tending to plants; I can take care of everything in my yard, I know what they like and don't like, I know where to plant things, and how to enhance soil, etc... but I don't know how to put it all together to make it look nice.

I have a lot of beds that are more like holding pens for plants. The plants are growing there until I can put them together properly.

For this class (I've only had one so far) we have to work on an area of the yard we want to landscape. My project is the new patio we want to install in the backyard. So the plan is a patio and then the garden around it taking into consideration the lovely Maple Tree already in the area (I think it's an Amur Maple) and the exit from the screen porch which we hope flows into the patio. It's very shady so I'm envisioning mixing a lot of different greens and loads of texture to just make this area as lush as it can be.

Right now, not much is growing in this spot, so whatever I plant might have to be BIG already.

We'll see where this leads... !

2 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Sounds like fun. I see you have powerlines to deal with also. I'm interesting in seeing what you do to distract from them. It looks like it will be a wonderful spot to sit outside & enjoy the garden.

Brenda Jean said...

What a cool project. I haven't taken any garden/landscape classes. It will be interesting to see what you learn and if you feel it was worth it. That's a really pretty tree to landscape around-- I can't wait to see what you do!