Pages

Monday, July 14, 2008

Garden Blogger Bloom Day: July 2008

This is a record! I am actually posting GBBD one day in advance, as opposed to one week after.

This summer, I have not been posting as much, but I've also not been out in the yard as much as I want to be. I talked to my neighbor and we agreed that the mosquitos are horrible this year and unless you want to be caked in Eau d'OFF on a daily basis or be eaten alive by potential West Nile critters, then you're mostly indoors thankful for the windows where you can view your yard from the inside.

But I digress .... Here's what's in bloom in my small Chicago western suburbs garden.

Front Yard:

This mophead hydrangea appeared in my yard my 2nd year. It had one bloom on it.
I moved it 3 times before finally settling it in it's "forever" home.
This year I have about 5-6 blooms and it looks really happy. It's alone right now, so I'm thinking about adding a few siblings for him to play with.

Of course, it's not summer without the purple coneflowers.
This one is new to my yard. I picked it up late last summer and it didn't have a tag but the garden center said it was some sort of potentilla. This is it's first bloom and I think it's lovely, although short -lived.
I bought this Astilbe also late last summer and it turned out to have this bright pink frond. I like it paired with the grey tones of the japanese fern.
White and pink yarrow
Hostas
Catmint
Dianthus
Daylillies

Side Yard:

My gigantic Astilbe ... planted on the west side of the house ... I didn't do this.
It does good except it needs to be watered regularly, and when it does I get the pretty pink fronds.

Back yard:

Here's my new Pinky Winky Hydrangea I got at the Arboretum's plant sale. It was so tiny when I bought it and I left it in the pot until only about 3 weeks ago. It started to bloom in the pot so I decided to finally plant it. I removed a huge purple loosestrife that Carol/May Dreams recommended and replaced it with this lovely.

Cranesbill geranium
Potentilla fructiosa
clustered bellflower
coral bells
annual geraniums, petunias, begonias

1 comment:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

The mosquitos may be particularly pesky this year, but the rains been great for the Mophead Hydrangeas & the Astilbes. I really like that big one, but I don't think it would like my garden. I just couldn't buy 'Pinky Winky' because of its stupid name, but the plant itself looks like a good one. Carol gave you good advice. I wish I could say I had gotten everything from the sale into the ground already. (My bad.)