Pages

Friday, July 18, 2008

Garden Class: Landscape Design Finished

My six week Intro to Landscape Design class at the Arboretum has finally ended. For the class, we were supposed to choose an area or project we wanted to design in our own yard and for the last class show what we've done using the design principles we're learned.
It was an Intro class, and one that's mandatory for the Arboretum's Home Gardening certificate, so we covered a lot of ground. I really did learn a lot, and it gave me the time to focus on designing our backyard patio -- a project I always had problems starting never knowing if I was doing it right.

So here was my plan by the end of the class --I have a small backyard (50x30) -- small for the suburbs at least-- I was completely inspired by the Arboretum's small Reading garden off the library, which is a small space with room for small plant beds, a table and chairs, a water feature, and pergola area.
  • I can't recreate the actual stone walls, so I chose to mimic the walls using a shrub border. Something that will spill between the picket fence especially since my fence is ON the lot line.
  • I don't want to use gravel (like the Arb did). but I would like the large squares of bluestone to match the house. And then carve two beds out on the opposite ends (by the window and the tree).
  • The blue water fountain I got for Christmas will be in one of the garden beds.
  • And the Amur Maple will serve as the "roof"
  • We want to cover the screen porch with a real roof, so I want to extend the pergola rails out over the patio with a vine
  • Add a shrub to cover the utility pole and compost pile - and add stepping stones to the compost pile.
  • Finally, redo the garden beds along the fence.
I haven't thought too much about plant material yet. We talked about it in class and what I learned is - figure out what your site is and then pick your plants. Kind of opposite to how I act now -- more like, "I want this... now where will I put it?"

We've been trying to plan this patio for 2 years now, so now Matt is ready to break ground tomorrow! But no, not yet...

2 comments:

Carolyn gail said...

Congratulations, Rosemarie. Looks like a great plan. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

It looks like it's going to be wonderful! Sometimes you need a class to get you motivated to tackle a project. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done.