Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Arbo Plant Sale!

La la la … [me singing to myself]… Arboretum plant sale … la la la

Yes, that’s me singing to myself as I dance through the colorful photos of spectacular looking plants photo’d in their prime. Nothing brightens a gloomy February morning like a walk into a colorful plant sale brochure…la la la….

So what have I sunk my meat hooks into this year? (Or as Matt would say, “Go beserk over.”)

Little Honey Oak-Leaved Hydrangea (Hydrangea Quercifolia ‘Little Honey’) – I have a standard size oakleaf hydrangea in the front of the house, which has become one of my favorite shrubs; this one is smaller (perfect for my ant-farm sized backyard). Plans are to put it in the Fence garden (which needs “foundation”) and I can see it from the kitchen window.

Honey Bun Rose (Rosa ‘Schrvjean’) – I have a small “Rose Garden” in the only area of the front yard doused with sun. I’d like to add another Rose here because the Japanese beetles have been complaining about the lack of food.

Stoplight Foamybells ( x Heucherella ‘Stoplight’) – I think I can stomp on Coral bells and they would still live. Plus, anything that remains “alive” under 4’ of snow deserves an award (and a place in my yard).

Fan Scarlet Cardinal Flower (Lobelia x speciosa ‘Fan Scharlach’) – Another plant I don’t have that I’ve hear are great – plus they attract butterflies and hummingbirds so I’m putting this one by the kitchen garden so I can watch hummingbirds knock into the window.

La la la ...

3 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I got one of the 'Little Honey' Hydrangeas there last year. I think I need a few more of them. I haven't decided what else I'm going to get. I'm so looking forward to it too.

Andrea's Images said...

Hi! I just joined the Arboretum this year and noticed that they had a plant sale! The first thing I wanted was an Annabelle Hydrangea....GONE....the second was the Oakleaf that you bought....GONE....I think I came on board too late...:(

Andrea's Images said...

Oh I noticed you are in the publishing business....my husband and I own a trucking company and haul for publishers in the chicagoland area....that would be funny if you knew him! haha!Where do you work?