Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

I have finally sowed my seeds

For Christmas, I received a whole bunch of seeds from my sis-in-law that she amassed from her own personal garden. I was so excited because I didn't have any of these kinds of plants, but I've never grown anything from seed either. I don't count my cosmos seeds as actual growing (I just threw them into the dirt last April and they grew to 7' tall -- it had nothing to do with my avocado green thumb).

I never got around to winter sowing them as Tina suggested (maybe next tree I'll try this new adventure), but I thought Mid-March would be a good time to get these in some dirt.

I've read a few things on how to grow plants from seed, and I'm good at reading instructions. But when it comes to gardening, I like to learn by doing. So I just dove in with this one!

So I saved some egg cartons to grow my seeds in. I used a screw that was laying around to punch holes in the bottom.
I bought some seed starting soil from the big box store, and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this, but when I tried to get it wet, the water barely soaked in. It was horrible. So I took the same screw and tried to stir in the water, like I was making a cake. That seemed to help.
Then I threw the seeds in and tried to cover them with a little more soil. And then more water.
My sunny window ledge was cleared of the over-wintered geraniums I keep inside all winter, and there the seeds went... And then I realized that it's only a sunny window for a potted plant 2' high. So I had to improvise and prop the plant seeds up. I also covered them with some plastic wrap.I'm sure I'm doing this all wrong, but time will tell. For watering the plants, I think I may switch to a spray bottle and that will get the soil more evenly wet.

6 comments:

Tessa at Blunders with shoots, blossoms 'n roots said...

Looks like you're off to a good start- good luck with the babies! Happy almost spring!

Stacy said...

I haven't planted mine yet. I waited until April 1st last year and planted them right in the ground -it worked perfect! Hopefully I get the same results this year! So excited that gardening time is almost here!!

kate smudges said...

I love starting seeds. The egg cartons are a great idea. I find watering them with a spray bottle the only way to go. Otherwise, it's too easy to flood the seedlings. It will be fun seeing them appear. Hope you take pics!!!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Some people (who actually know what they're doing, unlike myself) put the seed trays on top of the fridge until the seeds sprout. That gives them the bottom heat that seems to aid germination. Or so I've heard. Rusing egg cartons is a great idea.

angie said...

I started some last weekend. Of my favorite flower, it looks like only one has sprouted so far. I had bought a package of snow in summer and all of those have sprouted. Nothing else has really done anything yet. I guess it takes couple weeks to see something.

garden girl said...

I'll be starting some seeds in the next few weeks, and I'm sure I'll try spraying them, especially at first. Thanks for the great tip!

Good luck with your seedlings!