Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Yellow Boxwood

Do you know in the comic strips when someone is about to throw up, their face turns all sickly yellow green? Well, one of my boxwoods has that same lovely hue. It must not be feeling too well?

The odd thing is that it's only on one side?

This shrub is at least 5 years old (as long as we’ve had the house) and has never had any problems. My first instinct was that it was caused by the weather (maybe that side gets a more nasty wind!). It doesn’t help that we have these cold winters, but I think all my boxwoods are of the “Green” variety – supposedly cold hearty.

Recently, I read in the Chicago Tribune about boxwoods in the Chicago area getting “blight” and that the solution was to remove the affected areas. Before I did that though, I checked on-line and some of the diseases sound like a 1950's horror movie.

How about "Attack of the Root-Feeding Nematodes!"

4 comments:

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Yeah, boxwoods have issues. Check with Mr. McGregor's Daughter. She lives in Chicago, and I bet she'd know an answer to what is wrong. Tell her I sent you.~~Dee

Rose said...

I don't know much about boxwood, but this doesn't look good. Dee has good advice--if Mr. McGregor's Daughter doesn't know, she'll know someone who does! My bet would be to cut off all the blighted areas.

Thanks for visiting my Bloom Day post; hopefully, you and I both will have more in bloom next month--right now it's a waiting game:)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Oops, sorry I missed this one. I haven't had that problem with my Boxwoods. It looks like winter damage. Has it recovered yet? Have you checked with the Arbortetum's plant clinic? I don't have any of the "Green" series, so I don't know if this is problem related to them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.