Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

Name this Plant ... please!

Ed update:
The flower opened later in the day and Mr McGregor's Daughter was absolutely right, it's Hepatica
... and I think it's more Round-Lobed (Hepatica nobilis obtusa or Hepatica americana) rather than the Sharp-Lobed. That one's also more native to our area. I don't know if it will ever get any bigger than this, it's going on 4 years now.

Aster!? Yeesh - that's the 2nd thing that was mislabeled at our native plant sale (the other was a Celandine Poppy labeled as Blue Cohosh).



__________
I got this small flower at my first ever Native plant sale back in 2003 2005. We had just bought our house and I didn't have my blog yet. All I remember was that it was an Aster (at least that's what the tag/lady said to me).

However, after a few years of gardening I don't think it's an aster at all, but I still can't find anything like it to ID it.

The flower, as you can see, is an early bloomer (April) and the leaves are kind of heart shaped (there's one in the background). It's very diminutive -- either because it just is, or because it's not planted in the proper spot.

6 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I think that is Hepatica nobilis var. acuta, f/k/a Hepatica acutiloba, a neat little woodland native. I have it, and it is a small plant, although when happy can form a nice size colony. Check the 5th photo on the slide show here: April Bloom Day post

Debbie said...

What a pretty lady like looking flower.

lostlandscape said...

Some of these tiny plants can be pretty amazing when you get down to their level. Some of our California "belly flowers" (as in you have to get down on your belly to see them) are gorgeous little things. Your hepatica would hold its own against most of ours--very nice!

Frances said...

Hi Rosemarie, good deal on the ID by MMD, she knows all about those little woodland plants. Mislabeled plants are always a mystery, good thing we have the blogs, and google. :-)
Frances

healingmagichands said...

It surely is Hepatica. Around here the common name is Spring beauty.

sweet bay said...

Hepatica is wonderful. I hope it thrives for you.