Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

Garden Surprises

I have not been doing much "gardening" this past month, and I had a personal set-back recently which makes me yearn to be in my garden all the more.

So imagine my joy when I saw three plants, that I planted last year, have bloomed for the 1st time. Just in time for a much needed pick-me-up.

Jack-in-the-Pulpit
I have never seen this plant before, but bought one at my native plant sale 2008 because it's shade loving. The only bad thing is that no one can see how lovely this plant is; I had to crouch down low to get this photo. (in the native garden front yard)

Masterwort
Another plant I bought new last year at the Arboretum Sale and seeing it in bloom makes my heart flutter. I am in love. (in the kitchen garden backyard)

White Peony
This was the plant I discovered 2 summers ago growing in my yard. My former neighbor told me that the former, former owners had a huge peony garden but that thy hadn't seen a plant in ages. Well, it appeared just for me and I moved it late summer 2007, but last summer 2008 had no blooms. This year it bloomed and it's white!! (by the front of house)
Wishing you all many garden surprises this summer!

2 comments:

Debbie's Garden said...

Maybe those old neighbors dug up the peonies when they left. A tiny root finally made it through. I sure would want to take them with me if I was moving.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Oh, you lucked out with that Jack-in-the Pulpit, that you got such a beautifully dark one. Some of mine are just the boring pale green. Your Peony surprise is such a treat.