Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Garden Walk

Two weekends ago, I went on my first garden walk.

My mom and aunt, veteran "walkers" of all sorts -- garden walks, house walks, kitchen walks - came with me for my inaugural jaunt. They were impressed with my focus. My aunt said to me, "I thought you'd want to spend an hour in each garden, but you're quick."

My answer to that was, "If the owner was there to show me his/her plants and wanted to talk about them, then I could be there for days. But if they're not there, then I'm one focused chick. I take pictures, get inspiration, and move on."

Click here to see all the photos.
Garden Walk


All the gardens were so different, but there were three that I really loved. I am sure they had professional people involved, but it didn't "feel" like it. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Sometimes gardens look too stylized. These three had a more grown in feel, like even if it started as professional, the plants were left to naturalize, or in some cases the beds looked home-grown. That tends to be more my style.

My aunt, on the other hand, hated those gardens (her two favorites were my least favorite). It seems that gardens are like men ... there's something/someone for everyone.

Here are a few photos from my favorite gardens.

A lovely (small sized) pond.
I love how the terrain, the slop of the lot, and garden work hand in hand here.
And sometimes you gotta do ground cover.


This patio was my favorite, all the cut outs for small gardens.
And this tree just adds such a pretty place to rest under.


A total shade garden, they really did a lot with color and texture. I love the fern in the pot.

The same shade garden, pathways and hostas.

4 comments:

Debbie's Garden said...

I LOVE garden tours!!! I do know what you're talking about when gardens look professionally done. I toured a new town last year and all but one of the gardens of the tour seemed almost cold and impersonal because they looked professionally done. Like no one was ever really in the yard. Beautiful, but kind of too perfect. I loved the retro red bouncy chairs. I would love to have some for myself.

Avis said...

I like the shade garden, too. It has a very naturalistic, woodland feel to it. And I agree with you, you don't want it to look too planned.
Cheers!

Shady Gardener said...

I missed our annual garden tour this year. I really feel bad about it because they're so inspirational. This was a great post and I appreciate your point of view when it comes to being very naturalistic. (I have a pretty shady yard myself!) :-)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Aren't garden walks the best? I agree with you about style preferences, I like the slightly overgrown look. (Really, I'm not just lazy.) I like the shade garden shots the best, especially the one with the fern container focal point.