Pages

Monday, July 06, 2009

The 2009 Vegetable Garden: Heirloom Tomatoes

I haven't yet posted on what I have planted in my vegetable garden ... the vegetable garden being the 2 enormous pots that sit on my small utility patio in the only full 6+ hours of sun I get.

Last year I upgraded to 6 pots (2 very large, deep ones and 4 smaller ones) but I found it harder to get air circulating. And even though I got peppers in those smaller pots, I think they would have done better with more room.

So this year I went back to the 2 pots and I am only planting heirloom tomatoes. Why? Because I joined a CSA with my neighbor (we got our first crop last week!) so I'll be getting tons of vegetables. And because I've never grown one, nor have I ever eaten one. I figure they would be my next challenge.

I have 3 different varieties:
Where I buy tomato plants, for 1 small price you get 4 plants. With the heirlooms, that same price gets you 1 plant. So my odds have not been in my favor.

However, they are doing great! For my birthday last week the 2 tomato experts (dad & grandpa) were shocked at how large my plants were compared to their's. They couldn't believe I'd have such huge plants by the end of June. I told them it's because I love my plants more (ha ha).Great White

In addition to tomatoes, I also have rosemary, basil, and parsley.

Next year, after our house has *hopefully* been re-sided, I plan to convert this area to 2 long vegetable beds.

1 comment:

Debbie's Garden said...

These are so cool. Won't be long before you can TRY them too. You'll have to post how they taste. You might have to eat them with your eyes closed to tell