Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

Foliage Fridays

A Study in Contrasts put up some photos of foliage and plant combinations where foliage really stands out.

I'm glad she did this, because as I grow as a gardener, one of the things I've been working on this summer is developing interesting combination. And with perennials, I find it great to move things around to see what works with what.

Here are my contributions to Foliage Fridays

This is in my southwest garden (part shade).
I got rid of a lot of ground cover and randomly threw in hostas, pulmonarias, and ferns, and some ajuga late last summer and they really took. They may need to get divided a little later this summer.


This is in the front by the street.

The goatsbeard was always there (but has grown), I added the pulmonaria last year and hosta 2 years ago.
I love the way this looks in a very shady area



This is the backyard fence garden - newly done 2 summers ago.
I just planted the dwarf oakleaf this summer and I love it with the purple leaves of the heuchera. Again, another very shady area that's getting a great dose of color.


The other side of the fence garden, gets little more sun.
I love the Jack Frost brunnera against all the green - and here I went for different texture foliage (ferns, astilbes, pulmonaria, hosta, and wild geranium)

Finally, another area of my southwest garden where I added an actual shrub
-- a dwarf blue spruce -- that mixes things up.

Thanks for visiting!

13 comments:

Blackswamp_Girl said...

Oooh... I'm so glad you posted these, Rosemarie! It gives me hope for my other shady areas where I have similar things planted. Maybe some day they'll be as lovely as this. :)

Becca's Dirt said...

I love the many shades of green you have captured.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

You have so many great textures going on, in addition to colors. I really like the foliage of your Pulmonaria.

Shady Gardener said...

Rosemarie, Your foliage combinations are great!! Everything looks so healthy and wonderful, too. :-) Thanks for visiting me today.

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Rosemarie, I can't believe you were never a gardener. Your foliage combinations are splendid. Everything looks so cool and refreshing.~~Dee

Naturegirl said...

Love the various greens in your shade garden! I see that you love placing rabbits in your garden as I do!I have one side called "the bunny trail" I wish you a wonderful day in ykur garden!

Rose said...

I like the combination of different textures in your garden, Rosemarie. I started with just hostas in a shady area and have been adding different plants like the Brunnera, ferns, and heuchera. It really does make a difference!

Enjoyed your Bloom Day post--that creamy yellow daylily is a beauty!

Anonymous said...

your pics are beautiful as always. Took the "what flower are you quiz" and the response if a "nigella?!!" what kind of flower is that?? I am sure you can figure out who this is.

Chicago Garden said...

Nice collection of foliage. Really like the water fountain tableaux.

-MrBrownThumb

kate smudges said...

Your plant combinations for shady areas are stunning. You've worked some magic in your garden. I am enjoying Goodreads and can tell you are a big reader too. Your book selections are appealing and I"ve enjoyed several of the books that you've read. Hope you are getting some good summer weather.

Emm said...

Wow. Your garden is awesome!

rambleonrose said...

You have wonderful combinations of colors and textures! I love all the shades of green, and also the heuchera/oakleaf hydrangea combo. Fabulous!

garden girl said...

Beautiful combinations Rosemarie - very inspiring!