Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

My 5th Anniverary... of my garden

I started gardening when I bought our house in 2005 – that translates into 5 growing seasons. In knowledgeable years, however, it might as well have been 1905 since I hardly recognize some of the garden beds or the clueless person who bought it all.

My first summer in the house, I took about 20 photos of the yard. In 2008, I took over 300. But nothing seems more valuable than those photos from 2005-2006 where I can look at the garden and see what I have done (or haven’t done) in such a short time.

2005

2009

And although I have more beds to reclaim, weeds to kill, and ground cover to land manage, so much has been done in such a short time that I feel as though this garden is now officially mine (even though it was inherited.)

The nicest thing said to me this year was from my husband. He said, “Rosemarie, the garden’s looked the best since we’ve moved here. You’ve done so much.” Then he smiled and said, “Now you can relax and take some time off.” Time off? That’s crazy talk, I wanted to say, why would I ever want time off from this.

Taking over someone else’s yard in some ways was the best thing for me as a newbie gardener. Sure, I messed up some perfectly fine garden beds when I went through my “I hate coniferous shrubs” phase, but that’s all behind me now. And how un-fun would gardening be if I couldn’t put some blame on the old owners with the obligatory shake of the head, “I don’t know why they planted these here!”

In 2006, after I decided not to bulldoze the entire yard, I started this blog. I figured I needed a place to record all this work I was doing (it was work then). Going back to blog posts and looking at pictures has been the best thing that I could have done.

What’s more satisfying than seeing your work, saying I did this, showing it to people, gathering flowers from your yard, picking that ripe pesticide-free tomato off the vine…

3 comments:

Debbie's Garden said...

Now you'll move on from the "why did the old owners put that here" to "why did I put that there, what was I thinking". Gardens get bigger, grass to cut gets smaller, trees get bigger making what was a sunny garden, now a shady garden. Its never ending.

garden girl said...

What a lovely setting for exploration, discovery, and lots of new photos and wonderful memories with a new little gardener to grow with soon.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Well that one bed sure looks a heckuva lot better. If you ahve time, stop by my spread and see what 5 weeks does?