Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Baby & the Garden

I've been a bit absent in the Garden Blogging world, as well as in my own garden. I'm due in 2-1/2 weeks. Although that hasn't stopped me from pulling a noxious weed taking advantage of my extra 35 lbs, my normal garden routine has flown out the window as I prepare for our littlest one's arrival.

At the same time, I started thinking about what I want from the garden in relationship to the new baby; how I can share my love of the green goodness with the world's newest citizen. Maybe it's the nesting, maybe I'm a dreamer... that's alright.

I've been very conscious of the way we live via our garden: tending to our garden with no pesticides, growing our veggies, supporting local agriculture, conserving water, composting waste, etc etc. I really want to pass that on to our child through the garden -- for example: my husband is going to build a new raised bed veggies, one in which we can plant together as a family and teach our child how food grows. The same goes for the ornamental garden, as we watch the butterflies and bumblebees frolic and flitter through the plants.

I guess I just want the baby to grow up loving the garden (which if he/she is anything like me -- stubborn -- they won't.) So at the very least, I'd like to teach the baby how to ID certain weeds so I can have an extra pair of tiny hands in the garden next spring (wishful thinking!!).

3 comments:

Sheila said...

I have found it very difficult to teach kids to weed effectively! Best of luck with your new little one!

meemsnyc said...

Congratulations! How exciting. It's great to be able to share the love of gardening with the next generation! That's why I love gardening, I remember how much my dad loved it.

garden girl said...

Wow - the time has gone by so fast Rosemarie (though probably not so much for you!)

I hope your little one enjoys the garden as much as you do. It's wonderful how you're incorporating new ideas into your gardening style to include the baby, and I hope he/she will find a lot of pleasure there.

Best wishes on the upcoming birth. I hope all goes smoothly. How wonderful it will be to finally hold your child in your arms. Such sweet reward, especially after all you've gone through getting here. xoxo