Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Bring out your dead" - the gone but not forgotten list of dead plants



 It is with sad sorrow that I dedicate this post to all those plants I have loved and who, for some reason -- wind, rain, freeze, squirrel, rabbit, or neglect on my part -- have not come back this spring, but have gone to a better place (although I can hardly believe that, what's better than my yard?).

In any case, these are my dearly departed plants for 2011.

2 golden heucheras from this massing 2009-2011
Jack Frost Brunnera 2008-2011 (sadly missed)
Oakleaf hydrangrea 2010-2011 (eaten by rabbits) (and the brunnera was in this garden too)
Albert Heijn tulips 2008-2011

Red irises in 2 garden beds - 2005-2011

4 comments:

Carol said...

You have to learn from each departing plant and either decide to fence for rabbits or choose things that are less appealing to them. Iris get a root rot from a moth. There are organic ways of dealing with it, or just planting Siberian type iris. Tulips are not a true perennial because the bulb weakens each year, producing smaller flowers and eventually vanishing. You just need to replant some new tulips in the fall.

Rosemarie said...

Carol thanks! The oakleaf loss is my fault because I didn't cage it last year (with the new baby I left a lot things to chance), but I thought they would just munch on it, not kill it (my other one they munch on comes back). Anyway, with the tulips - I figured as much - but the irises ... they've been in this yard since I moved in. I thought they were indestructible!

Sissy said...

aw, very sad...I don't have rabbits, so my losses are not as great. I pull more plants out than kill them, I think. I am ready to get rid of some slow/non-growing shrubs, right now!!!

garden girl said...

I'm so sorry for your losses Rosemarie. :( If you try Jack Frost again, maybe let it seed itself. I've been surprised to see the seedlings grow up just as variegated and pretty as the parent plant in a client's garden.

The dastardly rabbits almost did in my oakleaf hydrangea a couple of years ago, and I haven't removed its fencing yet. Alas, not so for the (grafted) witch hazel - I got cocky and removed the fence last year, then forgot to put it back in the fall. They ate it down to the graft. It did come back below the graft, so it wasn't a total loss. Now it will be a native witch hazel, so I shouldn't complain, especially since I've been really focused on adding more native plants here the last couple of years. (I did like those brilliant, cherry-red blooms though!) The fence around the witch hazel will now stay in place all year to keep it from being a total loss in the future.