Pages

Monday, June 06, 2011

I'm stressed out by my garden: A new mom's plea for help

Please tell me that it's normal to be over-whelmed by the garden when you have a baby.  These last 5 years, I've been used to going out to tend to the garden whenever I want, especially after work when I could shed the work finery, get into my grubby clothes, and head outside shovel in hand. Not anymore.

That being said, I am totally stressed out by my yard. The weeds have taken over, ground cover weeds have sprung up out of nowhere and taken over entire beds, and I don't have the time (or energy) to remove them. I haven't made any pretty pots, and none of my garden objets (like a chair) has been pulled from the garage. It's either 40 degrees or 90 degrees here in Chicago, so most of the time I stare at the garden from inside, baby in my arms.

I'm almost at the point where I want to hire someone to do all this, but then I'll have to stand over them telling them, "No, that's a perennial. Don't pull that." And who has the money for this anyway? Not I, said the new stay-at-home mom!

So that's all. I just needed to get this out. If anyone comes to my yard, just tell them the Clampetts have moved in.

5 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

I can understand your frustation afterall you have something new to keep your attention and much more fun than a garden. Soon though you might be able to take baby to enjoy the outside with you. Maybe a helper to watch over the little one while you enjoy your gardening. Your little one is precious. I have been hearing that it's hot in Chicago lately. We just breezed on by spring and never new it even came and went.

Colleen said...

I think this is just the time of the year where the work in the yard is completely overwhelming. I have to say when I saw your mulch, I thought....oh jeez, spreading mulch in the heat....ugh. The mulch pile in our yard drove me crazy and caused a lot of stress. I would just look at it and think of all the things I would rather be doing. From our side of the fence your beds look nice. I guess just know this is the time of the year the weeds go crazy. I can't believe how many have sprung up in the last 2 days. If you want to try to tackle a part of the garden together one evening let me know. I'll be home Tu, We, Th evening. Maybe if we work together it will help!

Sissy said...

Rosemarie, I promise, the garden will always be there. Your son will only be this old, once. As I watch my youngest grow out of my grasp, I beg you to accept the weeds and your know that it's ok to have different priorities today!! If you lived closer, I would surely help, but I am out near NIU. You aren't out this way, are you??

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

It's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. I agree with Colleen that everyone is behind the 8 ball at the moment, myself included (you should see the size of the mulch pile on my driveway, it's only been there 3 weeks). Don't worry about it. As long as the weeds aren't over your head...

garden girl said...

I feel so much empathy for you Rosemarie! I remember those days so well. This has been a really horrible year for weeds around here - worse than I can ever remember.

My daughter and her husband moved to their new (to them) home about a week before my granddaughter was born. At one time, clearly many years ago, their acre yard was filled with beautiful wildflower gardens. The once-beautiful (we know they were once, because we saw photos and plant lists lovingly kept by a previous owner,) had been neglected for years. They were completely overgrown with noxious weeds like poison ivy and garlic mustard. With a baby and a teaching job, even with summers off, and even with some help, it's been really hard to get things under control. Some areas are now mowed there just to keep it all from being quite so overwhelming.

You're doing the right thing putting your little guy first. There will be many years for gardening, and it gets easier and easier as our children grow.

When my babies were young, sometimes the best I could do was deadhead the flowering weeds so at least they wouldn't spread so much. :)