Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Backyard garden: Fence East side plan

A shrub plan along the back fence was a must-have on my backyard garden plan.

This is the East-Side of the Fence garden bed in 2012 (from the utility pole to the birdbath). As you can see, from the utility pole to the hosta is my DEAD ZONE where some random ground cover grew without my permission.
Pictured is my little golfer - 20 months old.

Link to photos of Fence Garden 2005-2008

When I planted my perennial garden along the fence in 2007, I started more towards the middle of the fence where there was more light (the circled hosta in the photo was the starting point). That area became a pretty perennial bed of shade loving plants: hostas, ferns, heuchera, brunnera, astilbe, fringed bleeding heart, pulmonaria, and a few dwarf oak leaf hydrangeas. 
The fence garden at its most LUSH (2010)

The Garden plan:
The plan is, with the Maple tree gone, to have foundation shrubs extend the length of the fence as a cohesion with the rest of the yard and a backdrop to my perennials. In addition, an ornamental tree would replace the loss of the Maple.

 Picture of the backyard fence shrub plan: Click to enlarge

Starting from the east-end, the plan calls for three (3) Judd Viburnum. I love Judds but I felt that this area was too shady for them (unsure why they were my designer's choice). Instead I transplanted a Lindera benzoin (spicebush) since it's native (and the perennials by this shrub will be woodland natives) and gets 6-12' tall & wide so it will screen the utility pole. It also does better in shade.

Next the plan called for six (6) Twist-n-Shout hydrangeas.  These are so pretty I had to keep them in the plan, except I opted to only plant 3 of them. They are pricey and I had an established Hosta in one of their spots that I wanted to keep. I also had two (2) Fothergilla 'blue shadow' that I picked up from the arboretum sale the previous year which needed a better home.

hydrangea
In front of the Fothergilla, designated as perennial space, are some Japanese painted ferns. I will add 1-2 other shade perennials here to join the ferns.

After we planted the shrubs 2012
 New stepping stones to compost

That's the east end of the fence. We'll see how these shrubs hold up in the Dead Zone.  NEXT UP, the west-end.

1 comment:

Nelson said...

Indeed Judd Viburnum are perfect for your garden as it adds beauty in landscaping as well as it is extremely fragrant pinkish white blossoms.