Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Sowing Seeds: A toddler & me

Dirt, tiny seeds, 2-1/2 year old boy, egg carton, me --- which one of these doesn't belong?  The answer is ..... me.

I've only once sowed seeds indoors (with perennial seeds) and it was an ultimate failure. When I throw a packet of seeds in the dirt, however, they grow vigorously. Are seeds happier when they are farthest away from my tender loving care?


So since I am such a genius at seed sowing indoors, I bought herb seeds to sow with my 2-1/2 year old (yes, time has flown!). He dug the dirt right away. He filled all the egg cartons and then moved on to filling pots (over and over again - anything to distract him while I get serious with the seeds).


I added the seeds and watered and ... The water just sat at the top of the soil (seed starting mix, really). Even poking it with a fork wouldn't help. Then I read the directions on the back of the bag: "Mix the soil with water first, then add seeds to the wet mixture." Oh.

So you see -- my toddler does just fine with seeds. It's his mom that needs some help!

No comments: