Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Backyard garden: vegetable garden inspiration

My backyard garden wishlist included a potager style vegetable garden. While a few raised beds would do the trick, a potager style garden is certainly more attractive yet still functional.

I showed a few pictures of potagers to my landscape designer last year and when I got back the two possibilities for my vegetable garden, I thought they were amazing. Then I sat on them for a while and my thoughts started to wane some. The design captured the aesthetic quality of a potager but without the practicality.

Landscape designer Plan A: with 4'x4' stepping pads

I had questions such as: why are the vegetable areas not raised beds? Why would I put a vegetable garden against my house and against my lawn? It was obvious that our designer was not the most keen on raised beds nor veggie gardening.

I wasn't too upset, this gave me time to practice my own design skills and see what I could come up with. My original pictures were gone but thanks to Pinterest I resurrected some new inspiration.

Photo P.Allen Smith: 
 What I love about this is the simple potager plan, the multiple raised beds with a center focal point, and the peat gravel walkways. Simple, rustic, yet attractive and functional.


Photo Houzz.com:
I love the square focal point in the center of the raised beds, the twig trellis (while beautiful) is probably not doable for me, but the herbs and plants below create beauty.

Photo Houzz.com:
 This seems to me a perfect use of a small space - appears to be 2 4x8 beds together in a corner. 
 While not "potager," still attractive and good space for plenty of vegetables.

Now I just need to lay out my own design and see what we can make out of it.

1 comment:

Johnson Rondeau said...

Wow, I like your landscape designer's idea with the vegetable garden! Mine has only flowers and fountains, but now I'm considering to add some fish ponds and veggies, and turn it into a complete paradise. =)

Johnson Rondeau