Pages

Monday, May 06, 2013

Backyard garden: kitchen window garden plan & planting

I call this the kitchen window garden only for the simple reason that its directly under the kitchen window -- I am oozing creativity.

This garden needed direction. It was just a mass of daylillies (large yellow ones that flopped over and whose foliage needed to be cut back), tall purple bearded irises (gorgeous! But flopped over every season. I divided a few times and then they stopped coming back), sedum (which I planted for late summer foliage). Ho hum boring and fussy.

Here is a picture from a year ago -- this was before we painted the house and got new windows, and you can see our wood porch that was cute and quaint but falling apart.



The plan was to make the bed deeper and give it a shrub border. The shrubs in the plan were -- surprise -- boxwoods. This was the one place where I was okay with planting boring boxwoods. But of course I had to make a change: instead of 5 boxwoods, I did 3 boxwoods and 2 mountain hydrangeas 'tuff stuff'.

The two open areas in front of the shrubs are for perennials and ground covers of my choice. For this year, I replanted my existing sedum to the left and some white impatiens to the right.

The gorgeous red tulips were planted by the previous owner and I love when they come up and brighten up this garden bed. The pretty obelisk is from Terrain.


Looking at these two pictures is hard because it was once so lush and now it seems so puny -- but I know in time the shrubs will fill in nice and will evolve into "my garden."

1 comment:

Natalie said...

The reinvention looks your home very cool..