Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

In bloom: Sweet Autumn Clematis

You enter my backyard through an arbor -- that is, until August and then you have to enter my backyard by hacking through Jumanji, the killer Clematis and her henchmen: a swarm of killer bees.

I first wrote about Jumanji in 2006 when I was such a newbie gardener, I didn't even know what it was. Sometimes it's way funnier being in the dark.


Now I know it's a Sweet Autumn Clematis and that this Sweet Clematis killed the other Clematis I had growing here (probably a Nelly Moser which I liked a whole lot better). I didn't plant either of these, I inherited them when we bought the Money Pit 8 years ago.


I swear that this Clematis only started looking like a sheepdog after we lived in the house for 2 years, so either I'm doing something right or doing something wrong. In the Spring, I hack it down. And I mean HACK. I'm not gentle or caring when it comes to the Beast. Then it slowly grows to magnanimous size -- should I be shearing it back again?


Anyway, let's just say you know it's August around here when you can no longer get to my backyard through the side entrance. Although it's not successful at keeping the meter readers away.

3 comments:

LostRoses said...

The previous occupants may have planted it a year before you moved in - remember the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they get ginormous! Lovely sweet autumn clematis but I can see the bees could be a big problem at an entryway.

Ginger said...

well before reading your words, I was thinking this area looks amazing! for whatever that's worth, ha.

I have a Money Pit, too. haven't read a lot about your situation but I think we will be here a LONG time. hope you have room for your fam at least :-)

little artist said...

I have this clematis and it takes over every thing. But it smells so good and looks so pretty I hate to get rid of it. I cut it back in the spring also. I think the seeds are cute too.